Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Mexico




I hate to make you jealous, but I'll tell you anyway, our recent trip to Mexico was Fantastic!! To celebrate 10 years of marriage and to prepare ourselves for baby #2 and a church plant, we went to Mexico for 7 glorious days...just the 2 of us! We had an intentional layover in Denver in which we dumped our daughter off on our parents and then made it to the Cancun gate with a few minutes to spare.

And what did we do when we got to Mexico? NOTHING. We woke up to the waves, walked a mile to Turtle Bay Cafe, lingered over coffee and breakfast, and got back to our condo where we sat on our little private beach the rest of the day. We would often interrupt our book reading with a snorkel and maybe a beverage. I read almost 3 books, Aaron and I had uninterrupted conversations, and I didn't get too sunburned. It was so great that we decided to stay married another 10 years just so we can do it again. Although I truly hope we will not wait that long for another vacation like this. We got home and actually felt rested.

Before we left for Mexico, we decided that it would be a completely "unplugged" vacation. No cell phones, no internet, no movies, and we didn't even listen to music. It was so good to be away from all that technology. However, we were missing our girl, so we found the condo managers and they let us briefly check email in their office twice. The first time we checked we found this email from Aaron's mom:

We have had a wonderful time with Montana so far. She is so sweet and innocent! And Friendly! Here are some highlights of Saturday and Sunday.

: Playing with Madelyn and Will and some fighting...Tomorrow Madelyn in school so Will gets his chance to play.

: A Picnic and popcicles.

: A fun bath

: Successful pooping after many tries. Again on Sunday. Is she done for the week? Who knows?

: Strawberry Shortcake movie

: Decorating a birthday cake for Papa with Madelyn and Will. Fun and sweet!

: Quiet time with Grandma and Papa

Montana quotes!

: I'm so glad to see you! ( Love it!)

: I love you Papa. Let's all go and hug Papa!

: I love co-housing!

We are having fun! and I know you are too.

Love, Mother"

After this wonderful update, we were able to last a few more days before checking email again.

What a blessing this trip was. I am reminded of what good friends Aaron and I are. I thoroughly enjoy spending time with him and it was so good to just hang out with my best friend for one week. At home we so often act as business partners. We negotiate schedules, childcare and budgets, we entertain guests, and we make lists and plans and preparations, but we don't make a lot of time to just hang out and laugh or talk about silly books we are reading or good music we've discovered. I am so grateful to be reminded that my partner is a really fun person to hang out with. Here's to 10 years of marriage to my best friend. And let's go back to Mexico soon! Who's coming?

2 comments:

Kim said...

We are both blessed to be married to our best friend. So happy that the 2 of you could go and hang out alone and be reminded that you still enjoy being with each other with nothing to distract you!

My favorite Montana quote has GOT to be 'I love cohousing'. CLASSIC.

love you!

JennyO said...

I'm so glad you posted these! Looks like you guys had a great time. I can't wait to hear all the details!!! It's so fun to see your belly, too! So excited for that baby to arrive!! Love you all.