Monday, December 1, 2008

That's reverend to you

It's official. My husband is now Reverend Aaron Walters. It sounds so formal, so grown-up. How can I possibly be married to a reverend? I never saw it coming. I thought I was marrying a history teacher. Well I guess this is the time to return to my wedding vows and remember "for better or for worse!!"
Aaron was ordained last week in a wonderful service at Bethel. Both Aaron's folks and my folks flew out for the occasion. It was so special to have them there. At the service I was reminded of the seriousness of the task before us. Aaron is now a "minister of the word." What an honor and privilege, but also a huge responsibility. He is accountable for the spiritual lives of those he ministers to. This is nothing to take lightly or take for granted. At one point my dad leaned over, and said, "This is your last chance...head for the door before it's too late!" I have to admit, I was tempted, but I stayed. I'll stand by my reverend!
There was one moment that I wish I would've taken a picture. All of the elders and pastors representing the different churches were asked to come forward and lay hands on Aaron and it was so powerful to see Aaron surrounded by so many people. This definitely symbolizes the support that we have felt particularly over the last few months. It was a powerful image and I wish I could share it with you, but we'll all have to use our imaginations.
Also, Aaron has started his own blog about his church planting journey. Check it out.

This is Aaron giving his first blessing as Reverend!



4 comments:

Anna said...

Wow, Kate, that's so exciting. Reminds me of stories I've heard from my mom and how she felt when my dad was called to the ministry and went to seminary and was ordained after they had been married several years. It may be a change of your plans, but it'll be cool to see how God continues to work in and through you both!
I enjoy keeping up with your lives a bit through your blog. Thanks for keeping it updated with pics and stories. Lots of love! *Anna

Micah and SaraJane said...

Congrats! We are very excited to see what God has in store for your family and are confident that amazing things will come your way!
On another note-we finished the home study-and the blog is finally up!

Deb said...

So, is becoming a Reverand a "for better" or a "for worse"?

I know a pastor's kid who said she'd NEVER marry a pastor - married a mailman - and he, of course, became a pastor. I said the same - and didn't!! Just another pastor's kid.

Congrats, guys - it was great to see you again!

Kelly Cook said...

This is so amazing... and you know what I love the most, that Aaron is reverend (appropriately dressed and all) but that he is still AARON. you guys are amazing!

I love you