Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Energy

I got a teaching job for the month of January. Sociology 101. Yesterday was the first class and I have 3 whole students! I found out about the job in December and I knew it would be hard work to get prepped for a 3 hr class that meets 3 days a week, but I was up for the challenge.

I have to say that in the last couple of weeks, I have been so energized by what I'm doing. I don't mind getting up early or staying up late to work. It is fun to talk and think about the class and while I have a healthy amount of intimidation, I'm not completely overwhelmed. For the last year or so, I have dreaded work, it has drained me, and I have felt completely overwhelmed by it, AND I was only working a couple of hours a week. I wondered if maybe it was having kids and a full life that made it difficult, but now I am seeing that the fit wasn't quite right. How many times did I talk to students at Trinity when I worked there as a career counselor to pay attention to the times that you are drained and the times that you are energized? Well, I am taking my own advice. Although I am working only one month on the new job, I decided to quit my other job. It wasn't worth the few dollars that I made every month. It wasn't worth the hours I spent awake at night filled with anxiety.

Another lesson learned about myself. Often finding a career path comes through trial and error. I had to try the other job. I'm glad I did. I tried to stick it out. I'm glad I did. I'm thankful for the opportunity and the personal and professional learning. But I realize now that it wasn't a good fit and I will know in the future when I have other opportunities like this to walk away. Working with kids sounded great, but in reality it was really hard...for me. Tomorrow will be my last day. I will be relieved. And then it's back to making quizzes, prepping lectures, and coming up with creative ways to convey the inspiring ideas of Sociology. I am loving the energy and the life that has rushed back into my mind and body!

1 comment:

Kim said...

All I can say is 'YAY FOR KATE!!' I'm thrilled for you that you have dialed in where/how you want to use your gifts and skills and knowledge. It is just the beginning my friend!