Friday, December 23, 2011

The important things

Last Friday I had the amazing experience of attending my close friend's birth. She called me at 6:30am and said she had been having contractions since 4a. I got my stuff together, dropped Montana off at school and arrived in Seattle around 11a. I just knew the baby would come in a few hours, so I was surprised that my friend and her husband were still at home laboring and hadn't gone to the hospital yet. She wanted to labor at home as long as possible. The contractions became more intense after I got there and we all headed to the hospital around 1ish (I think). It's amazing how time works during the birthing process. It is slow. It is fast. It doesn't seem to exist. It is all you can think about.
My dear, beautiful friend labored hard all afternoon. She handled contractions with such strength and focus. I was blown away. She was getting tired and still managed each intense contraction without one ounce of drugs. Her husband was also so strong and supportive. They found a rhythm that was beautiful to watch. What a team.
At 6pm the midwife checked her and she was only dilated to 7cm. Really? All that hard work for over 12 hours and only 7cm? This is what I was thinking, but didn't say it of course, but I know my friend was thinking the same thing. The midwife suggested breaking her water and after that things got moving. My friend started pushing at 7pm and little man was born at almost 8:30p. Oh my, I just can't describe how thrilling it was to be there and watch him emerge into the world. He was 9 lbs, that little bugger. And oh so stinkin' cute. Added blessing for me was watching him bond with mommy and daddy.
This day was emotional and powerful and at times very intense for me. Part of what contributed to that emotion was that around 3pm I found out (by email) that our neighbor passed away. We had been expecting it, but it was still surprising to find out. She was a neighbor that shared our faith and so we had a special spiritual connection with her. Here I was at a birth, learning about a death. What things are more core, more pivotal in life? Nothing is more important. Nothing matters more.
Also happening that day was a bridal shower for another special friend. A party to celebrate her upcoming marriage. Because I thought that births don't take that long (based on my experience!), I left in the morning pretty certain that I would be able to make it to at least part of the celebration. As the afternoon went on, I realized that I would not be there to celebrate with my other friend. I was sad, but as this friend graciously reminded me (when I called to tell her I wouldn't be there), I was exactly where I needed to be. She gave me words of hope and encouragement as I sat in all of my own personal emotions.
Life, death, marriage. All in one day. It was powerful. It was emotional. It was very real.
And to be with my friends in such a pivotal life changing event - the birth of their son - what an honor and a joy I will never forget.

2 comments:

Kim said...

It is days like the one you had that are good for bringing a person 'back to center'. I am thankful with you for Janet and for Edward and Misty Anne and their new son. It is relationships like these that keep us grounded AND focused on what is REAL and important.

loverstreet said...

kate, i totally creep on your blog but decided i better comment. i felt such a strong surge of meaning of life emotions when anjali was born that i came home and cried with joy. we get so caught up in all the little things that seem so important but these big moments keep us grounded and connect us to one another.
i look forward to the next time you make it out to laramie and hope i get to meet aaron and montana some day soon!