Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Distracted

Don't get me wrong. I LOVE being a mom. I mean, how could I not love being a mom to my spunky 3.5 year old and my adorable 7 month old?

BUT...

You knew it was coming.

I miss having long, uninterrupted, deep conversations with friends whether on the phone or in person. I am always distracted by a child who needs something. I feel like I forget important details or events in people's lives, if I ever heard them to begin with. I miss the ease of leaving my house to go for a run or a hike or to meet up with a friend. I wish that staying out late didn't mean 8pm and sleeping in didn't mean 8am. Mostly I just don't ever feel fully present and I hate that.

I wouldn't give up this season of my life for anything, but I lament that I don't have the freedom and flexibility and attention span that I had pre-kids.

I know my friends understand, but I just want them to know that I know and I'm sad. Part of me is missing. But for now, this is where I am...distracted by my kids. And I know it won't last forever.

2 comments:

Deb said...

I love this post - because it is SO true - all of it - the staying up late, the sleeping in, the conversations...Thank you for naming stuff that we're sometimes unwilling to name out of obligation to "love it all".
You're awesome!

Kim said...

Have no fear, the real 'you' is still in there! I remember those days well and I survived!! Continue to steal those moments alone when you can (guilt free!). Soon Amos will be convinced that it is OK to take a bottle and I promise you then my friend, I will take both Tana and Amos off your hands for extended periods of time so that you can do nothing but hang out at home, alone!! Love you!! Remember this too shall pass..