Tuesday, February 15, 2011

be MINE

When Montana woke up yesterday morning (Valentine's Day), Aaron greeted her with a "Happy Valentine's Day, Montana!" Her reply?

"Thanks. I love myself."

Wow! Okay, I wasn't expecting that one. But if that one statement wasn't a prediction for the rest of the day, I don't know what was. She spent the entire day asking for candy. And when I brought out the paper/stickers/scissors to make valentines for her classmates and neighbors, she proceeded to make a beautiful valentine...for herself.

I was going crazy. I wanted to wring her beautiful little neck. Am I raising a self-absorbed, bratty child? I mean, having a good self-esteem is a good thing and I want it for my children especially as teenagers and young adults, but come on, she's three!

I called my mother and freaked out a bit. Maybe Aaron and I weren't demonstrating how to give and how to prefer other people? Were we not teaching her the importance of love and how to give it away? My mom's response?

Kate, she's three! (That was what I said, but mom was coming at it from a bit of a different perspective - the grace filled side.)

Okay, I will have a bit of grace this Valentine's Day...but next year...I am NOT making all of the valentines by myself.

1 comment:

Kim said...

Kate...she's 3! hahahaha... A healthy self image is never a bad thing! You will be thankful if she keeps even half of this self-love by the time she is 13!