Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Return from Africa - Kate's thoughts

How was your trip? For those of you who have been on trips like this, you know how hard this question is to answer. For me the trip was amazing, overwhelming, and exhausting. Our trip got off to a bit of a rough start because we missed our flight from D.C. to South Africa by about 20 minutes. Considering how difficult it is to find 31 open seats on the next flight, we had to split into two teams. One group flew to South Africa the next day and the rest of us took a little detour through London. The first group arrived in South Africa, got on the bus, which ran out of gas because of a gas strike in Johannesburg, and when they got to the border of Swaziland it was closed, so they were forced to stay in South Africa for the night. The rest of us arrived in Joburg on Monday and got to our hotel a hour or two after the first group. So needless to say, I was exhausted before we even got there. Unfortunately all this travel took 2 days off of our time there, so that was disappointing, but we jumped right in!

We spent a few mornings digging a foundation for two new care points. Care points provide school for about 40 kids in the mornings and then after-school Bible clubs for up to 200-300 kids. The kids also get a meal there, usually their only meal for the day. There were several care points throughout the city, so we split into different groups and hung out with the kids and would read a Bible story, etc. When we were with the kids, our main objective was to love on these beautiful children, many of whom are orphans. We hugged, high-fived, played soccer, got in circles and danced, and passed out "sweets" (the kids went nuts over the candy - we got nearly trampled a few times!). I can't describe how cool this time was. The kids loved our digital cameras, so alot of the time was spent taking pictures and showing it to the kids.

In the middle of the week, Aaron and I got to meet our sponsor child, Bheki...but that deserves a whole posting, so more on that time later.

The organization we worked with, Children's Cup, was incredible - you should check it out. The missionaries and Swazis that are there are incredible people. Aaron and I had the privilege of hanging out with some of the missionaries one night while everyone else went to a game park (a travel doctor suggested I avoid overnight trips to game parks, because of a small malaria risk). It was so great to connect with the missionaries. It really reminded me of our time in China with our team. Part of me finds their lives very appealing, and it makes me wonder how it would be to be in Swaziland long term. Ever since I was a little girl I have wanted to go to Africa, and this trip did not disappoint. In a way, I feel like if I can keep going back to Swaziland, I would be fine not going anywhere else in the world ever again. Aaron and I are at such a crossroads and I have to admit that going to Swaziland long term has crossed my mind...and the fact that we were being heavily recruited by the missionaries doesn't help much!

Anyway, enough for now...I'll attach pictures, because pictures really do tell a better story.


Ncamiso and Prudence - two of the Swazi teachers
My dad

My mom playing with the kids while others work!! :)
My brother-in-law, Heath




Preach it, Aaron! :)



No comments: