Thursday, October 6, 2011

Harvest

Like many people, fall is probably my favorite time of year. What is it about pumpkin, brisk days, and apple cider that is so darn heart-warming? Maybe the nostalgia or the excuse to be cozy? Whatever it is, I love it. But I also love the summer here in the Northwest and the availability of so much amazing produce. I was reminded this past week visiting my sister in Wyoming that we have it pretty good.

This summer Aaron, Montana (although she mostly ate her weight in berries), and I picked 14 lbs of raspberries and 50 lbs of blueberries. I ordered a case of peaches, a case of pears, and a case of nectarines from a farm in Eastern Washington. We used several pounds of apples off of the trees at co-housing. I have had fun making jam, learning to can peaches, and making pear sauce. Our freezer is full of berries and our supply is quickly dwindling. Next summer we will have to pick more! We also bought a CSA (community supported agriculture) share and so every other week we get a box of organic goodness. I am so grateful for the abundant harvest.

Amos enjoying the abundance...beets and blueberries!

1 comment:

Kim said...

I feel the need to comment on the last pictures...have you guys gone nudist there at the ol' co-housing??? hahahaha