Monday, August 27, 2007

Pleasure Reading

I (Kate) am currently reading the book Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert. After several heartbreaks the author decides to go on a journey in pursuit of pleasure (in Italy), devotion (India), and balance (Indonesia). The book is broken into 3 distinct sections, and I am just finishing the first section on her pursuit of pleasure in Italy. I have thoroughly enjoyed it so far and have found it interesting that I am reading about pleasure as I arrive here in Michigan with more free time than I've had in years. As she asks herself what brings her pleasure, I can't help but ask myself that same question. Of course she is in Italy dining on fantastic foods and drinking incredible wines...the question of pleasure seems a bit more difficult when you are pregnant (which makes me unable to taste new wines or microbrews) and poor in Michigan!

But as I ask myself what brings me pleasure, and if I'm completely honest with myself, I think it really comes down to eating. Most of you are probably not surprised at all! I feel like I should say the outdoors or running or traveling or something hard core, but really what brings me pleasure is going to a coffee shop on Sunday after church and reading the newspaper while sipping on coffee or a latte. I love sitting outside on a warm summer evening with a beer (or other refreshing beverage that is non-alcoholic in my case this summer), and just visiting with Aaron or friends. When I go camping, my favorite part of the trip is always the meal and the campfire. I enjoy good food and drink and the way that it brings people together. Don't get me wrong...I do enjoy the outdoors, but when I am on a hike or climbing, I'm always wondering where the closest coffee shop is on our way home. So although the cash flow makes it difficult to enjoy a trip to the coffee shop everyday, I am looking for other ways to pursue pleasure this week. Perhaps I will make my own coffee and sit outside tomorrow morning and read my book. Perhaps I will prepare my meals with care and enjoy eating them (even if it is a bowl of cereal!!). I think the best way to experience pleasure is to be in the moment. The minute I think I should be doing something else or start wondering what I will do next...the pleasure is gone. My challenge to myself this week is to be in the moment and pursue a few things that bring me pleasure. What about you? What brings you pleasure?

Here's a quote from Gilbert's book:

"'No town can live peacefully,whatever its laws,' Plato wrote, 'when its citizens...do nothing but feast and drink and tire themselves out in the cares of love.' But is it such a bad thing to live like this for just a little while? Just for a few months of one's life, is it so awful to travel through time with no greater ambition than to find the next lovely meal? Or to learn how to speak a language for no higher purpose than that it pleases your ear to hear it? Or to nap in a garden, in a patch of sunlight, in the middle of the day, right next to your favorite fountain? And then to do it again the next day?"

I want to go to Italy!

4 comments:

mikestide said...

I think I will go to the library and check out that book, it sounds very calming. The thing that brings me pleasure is good friends that have passed through my life and put an inprint on my heart never to leave, my husband whom is the most wonderful man in the world and touches my heart and soul like no other and makes me a better person and the most important I am so glad I have the Lord in my life to direct me everyday in everyway. My prayers and thoughts to you both and I enjoy sharing with you...ahhhh the world of cyber space and blogging....Mike is in the hospital once again, I think he will be ok his little old heart just is not as strong as it use to be please keep us in yourprayers...Nancy

k.a.w said...

Nancy - send my love to Mike. Tell him to get better soon! Thanks for your thoughts and prayers and checking in on us! I sure do miss BB and the gang from there. Peace,
Kate

Emily said...

I totally hear you! When reading your description of coffee shop talk and eating a meal, I started to get weepy. (Yes, it could be related to my monthly cycle...) I love those things as well, most of all with my sister, and soon with my little niece as well! It is good to be reminded that finding pleasure is good and necessary, not something we should feel guilty about. Especially when it comes to enjoying food. That is what gives us life and nourishment! I also find great pleasure in teaching yoga to a room full of people and saying, "just breathe, just let go" and the whole room taking a deep breath and sighing. I love that s*!t! I miss you terribly!

Anonymous said...

Kate I just got caught up on your blogs and I am finishing that same book as we speak... I love everything about it... would love to have a year like that... maybe some time soon.