Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Afrika

Africa was what I expected. The homes I visited were as small and ill made as I saw on TV, the children were as beautiful as I expected, and the poverty was as vast as I thought. But thoughts and expectations are nothing compared to the reality of actually being confronted first hand with the good and bad. We shot thousands of photos and dozens of videos, but those don't do it justice either. Africa was awesome. It was incredible to see it all firsthand.

I think the most incredible thing I witnessed were those serving the children. In the community centers staffed by Children's Cup, volunteer cooks work 5 days a week to serve meals to children. These meal were often the only one's they would eat that day. Teachers in these centers teach children whose parents are often dead or dying, HIV or TB positive, and struggling to feed their families. Missionaries organize aid for these kids, which provides schooling, food, clothing, and love. These people are allowing these disadvantaged children to succeed in an environment that is challenging. These folks are the people who impressed me the most in the short time I was in Africa. God is doing a great work through these people, and they will continue to be in my prayers, and hopefully yours as well. Check these folks out at Children's Cup.

Aa

No comments: