Friday, April 27, 2007

Friday's deep thoughts

Things here at work have been awfully slow lately. It's probably because finals are over and graduation is tomorrow. This week the "good-byes" have officially begun. I have had to say good-bye to students that I have worked with this year and some other students whom I have grown close to over the years. It's so cool to see how these students have changed and grown. Their thinking has shifted and they have gained more confidence. As I have observed their growth, I recognize that I too have grown, and as much as I like to think that I have played a part in influencing and shaping them, these students are really the ones who have challenged me and shaped me. My time here at Trinity Western University has changed me. My calling has been refined. I feel called to work with college students and help them find their voice and their path. My motivation is never very pure, however, because as I "help" students find voice and find their path, I in turn find my own. And besides I like to think that hanging out with students keeps me "hip" and helps me forget that I am almost 30! Some days I really do feel like I am only 23 or 24!
So this BC chapter is slowly being closed as I gradually say good-bye to people, places, and things. I'm glad that I take my changed self with me into the next phase of life. I can't imagine who I will meet and how I will continue to change!

1 comment:

bradj said...

Age is a strange thing. It never feels like it is. Time is always there, moving. You gain experience slowly, but need it quick. And then all of a sudden, when you've got it, you're old.

On one level the difference between 23-24 and 30 is nothing. On another it's an immense gulf.

And when all words are said, and all actions are completed, it's still just an arbitrary number.

Every day needs to be lived on its own. Sometimes it's a big adventure. Sometimes it's a small one. But there's always something new in it. Live out the days to their fullest, and let the years add up on their own. Well, that's what this post inspired... :-)